From kareatstybbanhythe. The beautiful church at the end of the road.
Stepney was first recorded in around 1000, as Stybbanhythe. It takes its name either from the Old English personal name “Stybba”, or the word “stybba”, meaning a wooden pile; and “hyth”, meaning landing place. It became built up, around the Saxon to Medieval church of St Dunstan and All Saints (otherwise known as both “The Mother Church of the East End” and “The Church of the High Seas”), in the post-Medieval period. There were 6583 plague deaths in the parish, more than in any other in London, in 1665.
View original post 15 more words